What can I do about lower back pain/glute tightness while sitting in my car?

I bought an '05 Camry about 8 months ago and have been experiencing consistent lower back pain and tightness in my lower glutes. It's very stressful. 

I tried all the seat adjustments and they don't help. I may experiment with different cushions soon.

Do you think installing a new chair a practical solution?

Favorite Answer

It will be either Piriformis Syndrome or Sciatica and both are difficult to overcome. Another possibility is Bursitis (fluid sac between tendon and bone).

Unfortunately I know your problem only too well and it has led to me sticking with Renault Scenics which, despite their irritating electrical issues (till about 09), for me seem to be the only affordable vehicle which has a seat which I can describe as comfortable enough on a longer journey. In MPVs and most SUVs you can generally sit 4-5 inches higher than the more popular low seated cars, and sit more upright in comfort too.  I don't think I'd put a new chair in a 15 year old car. 

Maybe it's time to start doing back and leg stretches daily? It's not your car, it's your body.  There is a youtube channel out there - Bob and Brad Physical Therapists who have great information and lots of help for people with issues.... you might find their channel interesting. I know i have, and they have done wonders for my back problems.  I have NONE and i'm well over sixty years old.  Plus it's free

• Marc

Go to a chiropractor at adjust your back so that your body can adapt to the seat, not vice versa

• k w

I used to have a formed cushion to sit on, but forgot it's proper name, and on e of my co-workers used to have some kind of bead cushion they used to sell for cars....maybe search amazon for seat covers etc to figure it out......