Is working 2 jobs and going to school too much to handle?

Right now I have a full time job that’s m-f 8-4. The pay of the job is lackluster at best but I like the actual job and it gets my foot in the door. I start a part time job next week at a restaurant that’ll be around 20/25 hours a week. The reason I got the job is because I need more money to pay for school and I don’t qualify for any financial aid/scholarships/grants (trust me I tried) and my parents won’t help pay for me. I’m going to school part time starting this fall for surgical technology. Full time it’s a 2 year program but going part time it’ll take me 3- 3 1/2 years to finish. I’m taking 2 online classes this semester but I heard online classes are harder than in person ones. Am I setting myself up for failure? I’ve never had 2 jobs and went to school before but I feel like its my only option. 

Working two jobs and taking two online classes will be hard to do but it will not be too much for you to handle if you really want to. Your not setting yourself up for failure if you do the work.

• Sarah

It is possible, but I think a gap year may be better for you. I took 6 credit hours while working two jobs that totaled to about 30-33 hr/week, which is nearly full time. It is recommended that for each hour you're in class, you study two hours outside of that class for that subject, so that's 45 hours you'd be studying. With your work schedule, that's 105-110 hr/week you work and deal with school. With 56 hours a week to sleep, that leaves you with less than 20 hours in a WEEK of free time. I don't think it's necessarily guaranteeing you'll fail, but I burned out that semester I was talking about and barely got a GPA high enough to avoid academic probation. I really don't recommend you do this.

If you have your weekends relatively available to work, you should be able to do it. Online classes can require more work- you're reading and writing rather than just sitting in class listening to lectures. But if you structure your time and don't put off doing your work, it's doable. I have many students who have full-time jobs, and families and children that demand more than 20 hours a week of their time!

Only you know if it is to much.  There are 168 hours in a 7 day week.

• drip

Are you going to a non for profit college? Have you checked out your community college for this program?

You had to have gotten some government study loans. Everyone does. 

You can do it. But you won’t be doing anything else.  And you need great time management skills.

Yes, it is probably too much.  I have no idea what you'd be doing in a surgical technology program online, but if you are going to bother to go to school for any reason, you should make sure you are making learning the content and get good grades a priority.  

For most college classes, you would have 3 hours of classroom instruction and another six hours of homework per week.  With two classes, that would be 18 hours a week you'd need to allocate to school work -- and you'd be wise to try to keep up by doing 2 hours every day and then a little extra on your days off from work.

The concern is that if you are working 60 hours a week, you won't have much time or energy to keep up with your studies.  

• MS

It will be HARD, but it can be done.  It's wise that you're going to school part-time.  Online courses are harder for some people and easier for others.  Just make yourself a good schedule and get into a routine of balancing your work and your school work.

• A

you can do it if you are serious about it, I was working in a factory  6:30 am to 3pm, went to school at nights sometimes 4 nights a week, either 2 1/2 hours or 5 hours, and i had 2 young kids, a house to care for etc,