Ian asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 1 month ago

wattage is equal to volts/amperage?

Can someone explain this to me is energy referring to watts (P) in the explanation below P = VI This is simply (energy/charge) × (charge/time). For V in

volts and I in amps, P comes out in watts. A watt is a

joule per second (1 Watt = 1 J/s). i always thought it just volts over amps but the explanation confused me and now im not sure

Favorite Answer

It comes out of Ohm's Law but you can get more fundamental than that. Suppose you have a charge q, and it moves through a potential difference V where V has units of J/Coul = volts.  The charge gains a kinetic energy K = qV note that this is in Joules.

Now lets say it takes the charge a time t to move through the potential difference.  Then the rate of energy gain is dK/dt ~ qV/t but q/t is a currnet call that I so

dK/dt ~ V*I and noting thake dK/dt has units of J/s we can call that power P so

P = V*I

false.

in an electrical circuit, DC, power in watts equals voltage in volts multiplied by current in amperes.