Is this sentence grammatically correct? Would his death have been any less horrific if he hadn't have been a policeman?

Spell check is telling me the 'have' after hadn't is wrong...

6 Answers

Relevance
  • RP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I agree with spell check. Try Would his death have been any less horrific if he hadn't been a policeman... or, for the last clause, if he weren't a policeman.

• 1 month ago

Exactly.  You can drop the 'have.' If you look at what the idea is here, you'll realize that 'hadn't' is a contraction for 'had not.'  Translate that sentence to standard English, which would read:  "...;if he had not been...'  That's all you need to write.

• 1 month ago

Delete 'have'.

• 1 month ago

It's a past unreal condition.  The "if" clause uses the past perfect 

"hadn't been". The other clause uses a modal, such as "would".

You NEVER EVER EVER have "have" after "had". It's not a possible verb combination.

I have had 3 cups of coffee today. (present perfect).

He had had breakfast before I got there (past perfect)

He hasn't been a policeman (present perfect).

He hadn't been a policeman (past perfect)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Spell check is correct. You shouldn't have that "have" after "hadn't".

Correct version:"Would his death have been any less horrific if he hadn't been a policeman?"

• Nancy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, it's correct. It's suggesting that he may not have been a policeman when he died, like maybe the speaker doesn't know if he was still a policeman or the speaker is saying he had previously stopped being a police office but some effect of him being a police officer may have continued up until his death, possibly even contributing to how horrifically he died. If he was a policeman when he died, then you would say, "Would his death have been any less horrific if he hadn't been a policeman?" That uses the pluperfect subjunctive to cast a hypothetical into the simple past. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.