Ray asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 month ago

Wouldn't Tom Hank's character in Cast Away be anorexic after 5+ years being stranded?

I find it strange how someone being stranded for that long and with his body size would end up looking the same at the end of the movie when he got on the plane. 

Should've cast Christian Bale for that role. 

can you really maintain body weight eating just sea food and fruits?

• Edna

Tom Hanks' character in "Cast Away" might be skinny after 5+ years, but he wouldn't necessarily be anorexic. Anorexia is an eating disorder characterized by an abnormally low body weight, an intense fear of gaining weight. and a distorted perception of weight. A person can be skinny without being anorexic.

So... I heard that he lost a ton of weight to film the latter... then gained a ton of weight to film the former... but I've also heard the exact opposite... that he gained weight first than lost it... which would've been in chronological order.

• W

That you, Wilson?

Only if you don't know what anorexic means.

So... I heard that he lost a ton of weight to film the latter... then gained a ton of weight to film the former... but I've also heard the exact opposite... that he gained weight first then lost it... which would've been in chronological order.

I don't know what the actual truth is - but these Hollywood stars sure do some unhealthy things for their movies.

I read that Joaquin Phoenix almost developed a disorder dropping so much weight to become Arthur Fleck and - I can't say I find that hard to believe. 

No, if you hadn't noticed, he got to the point where he wasn't even cooking his fish, he was eating it raw. Raw fish has more protein than cooked fish. And you could tell he weighed more when he landed than when he left.

are you blind?  He starts out on the movie looking fat and pudgy and well fed. 

by the end of the 4 years, he's clearly lost half his weight. 

And it clearly shows him being an expert with his spear  (after 4 years).....so he clearly got the hang of catching fish. 

• Kathy

It was only on there for 4 years, and he ate a lot of sea food to stay alive.

I think you mean emaciated since I doubt his character in Cast Away was intentionally starving himself.  In my opinion, they did a good enough job portraying him as thin and fragile, without putting his health at risk for the role.  It also shows him cooking and eating food so it's not like he was starving.