Anonymous

Will relevant work experience (2-3 years) help me get into grad school if my GPA is sub-par? ?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Relevant work experience will help you get into grad school if your GPA is sub-par.

• 1 month ago

Depends on your work experience, performance, etc. Depends on how "sub-par" your undergrad GPA was. Depends on whether you can prove you are likely to do a whole lot better at a far more advanced & challenging level now than you did as an undergrad. But if you could not perform at a high level as an undergrad, you may very well not be grad school material. Why the low grades? Goof-off? Really-really-really work hard but still have a hard time grasping more complex material? You know what went on, and therein lies your clue as to your realistic prospects for rising to the far more advanced challenges of performing in grad school.

• 1 month ago

I would recommend applying to several schools of varying competitiveness.  You might be able to get into a school that might be considered lower rank than others, but for all intents and purposes, you will get the same education, on the same topics, from professors from the same universities.  You will have to get by on your own skills rather than the name of your school in that case.

• 1 month ago

Probably not. MBA programs do like their applicants to have work experience but ALL graduate school programs are academic in nature and require the applicants to meet or exceed the stated academic standards of admission for consideration.  

As John noted, a 3.3 or even 3.2 GPA probably won't rule out an applicant who has good recommendations, a higher "in-major" GPA, and a better score on the GRE or GMAT. A significantly lower GPA suggest the individual is not capable of graduate level academic work. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • John
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

If by sub-par you mean you have a 3.3, but the school requires a 3.5, maybe.  If your GPA is 2.5 and they require a 3.5, probably not.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.