I have a welder thats 460 single phase. can I wire this somehow to a 200 amp service panel ? I have a few 220 breakers already?

3 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    Thanks guys. I realize it's more to it than I want to take on. 

  • Bill
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    You can't get 460V out of a household 220V breaker panel.  You will need a 1:2 transformer to double  the voltage.  Your 220V current requirements will be double what the welder needs at 460V.  Look in your welder's user manual and see if it can be configured to work on 220V.  If so, what is the current requirement?

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    200 amp panel at what voltage?

    What is the draw of the welder? You only give voltage.

    If you have the normal 220 voltage service panel, it is 220 volts, two 100 amp or so breakers, one on each leg of 220.The two  do Not "combine"  to equal 440 volts.  

    I suspect you might need a transformer or a dedicated 460 volt drop. Both cost. 

    Possibility  welder  can be rewired for 220; current draw will double. So if it draws 50 amps max at 460, it will draw 100 max at 230. Make sure  your drop to the panel can handle it, dedicate this drop to welder only.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.