is it legal for local officials to abolish/defund police or intentionally order the police not to intervene with violence in the streets ?

by the way,   this is not a political question.   im asking what the law says.

Yes. There is no obligation for the police and/or government to do anything to protect their people and property.

The voters need to ensure they elect sound people who will protect the people. Many cities have elected mayors and city councils based on promises of goodies and feelings.

• Archer

Actually I believe all those states, cities and counties who want to defund police should not have the right to tell them anything and as a Police Force I would simply lock my doors and let the animals have their fun and not respond to the calls. Then after everyone realizes the stupidity and the need for law enforcement don't come back unless you get a pay raise.

A mayor here a couple of decades ago told the police that they weren’t allowed in town unless they were called (because he liked driving drunk and smoking pot on his front porch). Not long after, we had the deadliest shooting in our town’s history. 

• Rick

Probably breaks a couple of laws, yes .....................