Veschengro asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Why are modern kids so easily taken in by back yard breeders and chancers?

Why do they buy designer malbreds at all ? When the facts are there for all to read on any given breed of dog.

Favorite Answer

They don't know anything about dogs & are ignorant in their choices, they don't know a reputable breeder from a BYBer or a Puppy Mill.

It's not just kids or millennials - my internal medicine Dr. has a picture of HER TWO Labradoodles - on her desk.  I chalk it up to a lack of knowledge or believing the (proven MYTH) they are going to be HEALTHIER as a crossbreed and going to be hypoallergenic and non-shedding -if it is a "doodle" version.  My niece got one because her aunt had had a well behaved one for YEARS - that she grew up around.  She now has a super hyper 4 mo. that even her parents no longer want to help babysit...and she lives in an APARTMENT.  She wanted to adopt a dog during the pandemic, but the shelters were empty.  Of course the BYB are CRANKING out puppies,  unlike the responsible breeders - during this time.

Ignorance.   Or even trusting too easily.   However, we live in a 'want it now' society so as long as there are BYBs to provide this need, they will buy.   Sadly.

If that's where you live - I'm envious!

They are taken in by the propoganda that's out there about crossbreeds being "healthier"..    Or the claims of purebreds being "inbred"

• Amber

I don't think it is kids buying the dogs. It's mostly parents buying the dogs for kids. And I honestly don't know. It's cheaper, they are easier to find that real breeders and apparently they don't think of going to a rescue. People wants a puppy but they don't stay puppies for long. 

I don't think kids are buying the dogs.  It's that simple.