What would happen if a civilian claimed they didn't know choking someone for 8 minutes would be lethal?

Would they be acquitted of murder because there was no clear intent?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Whether in a jury or judge trial, in criminal or civil court, this argument would hold no force.  The person would be found culpably negligent as he/she would know or should have known that such an act would be injurious & probably fatal.  That alone may not sustain a charge of murder, but would be adequate for conviction on a charge of manslaughter.    

• 2 months ago

The defendant's "claim" isn't material. The jury would likely disregard it.

• 2 months ago

Are YOU aware that not even the other officers at the scene dispute the officer that had his knee on the back of George Floyd dispute charging him with murder, or at least negligent homicide?

• Archer
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If the victim wasn't actually being "choked" and was complaining "I can't breath" long before the presented footage then they were not the cause of that death.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

He didn't die from being choked.  Interesting use of words - "... would be lethal."

• 2 months ago

if this kind of thing bothers you than I suggest having a herd of emotional support animals on stand by before talking to social workers about the number of excuses given (and often accepted by juries for acquittal) by parents and caretakers of children in their care that were shaken, malnourished, suffocated and/or beaten fatally.

• rodcom
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

The transcripts of that night.

"The transcripts of bodycam footage from officers Lane and J Alexander Kueng show Mr Floyd said more than 20 times he could not breathe as he was restrained. He was also pleading for his mother and begging "please, please, please".

At one point, Mr Floyd gasps: "You're going to kill me, man."

Officer Chauvin replies: "Then stop talking, stop yelling. It takes heck of a lot of oxygen to talk." 

Mr Floyd says: "Can't believe this, man. Mom, love you. Love you. Tell my kids I love them. I'm dead."

A female bystander told the police: "His nose is bleeding, come on now."

About six minutes into that period, Mr Floyd became non-responsive. In videos of the incident, this was when Mr Floyd fell silent, as bystanders urged the officers to check his pulse.

Officer Kueng did just that, checking Mr Floyd's right wrist, but "couldn't find one". Yet the other officers did not move.

At 20:27, Mr Chauvin removed his knee from Mr Floyd's neck. Motionless, Mr Floyd was rolled on to a gurney and taken to the Hennepin County Medical Center in an ambulance."It sure sounds like negligence to me, leading to death, but that is not up to us, that is up to the courts do make judgement on.

• 2 months ago

Here in the real world, the police officer in Minneapolis didn't choke George Floyd.  The autopsy proved that.  The autopsy also found Floyd died of a heart attack caused by his pre-existing medical problems, illegal drug abuse being aggravated by him being arrested. 

The police officer actually did nothing wrong since the Minneapolis PD's regulations at the time allowed officers to kneel on an arrestee.  It just looked bad, and it became the excuse for the DNC directed and organized rioting to start. 

• 2 months ago

yes, ignorance basic human bodily functions  is a valid defense

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.