Can you take a pregnancy test after one week?

Just wondering how accurate it can be.

My boyfriend and I had sex August 2nd. I was supposed to get my period the 8th but I haven’t gotten it yet. I took the test yesterday and it came out negative. I also have to add my period is extremely irregular.

• John P

As Miss A says, a test at one week is too soon for a good indication. Read the instructions on the packet, which probably say 2 weeks.

You can take a pregnancy test whenever you want

You can take a pregnancy test any time you want. 

• MissA

You certainly *can,* assuming you're physically capable of peeing on a stick, but at that stage you cannot trust a "no" result at all.   It's too soon.  The embryo probably hasn't even implanted yet.

Two weeks post  sex is about when you can start believing the test.  Three is better.

Yes it would be negative though 

• Edna

Assuming the only time you had sex was just one week before took a test , the test you took would be 100% inaccurate. You couldn't even yet BE pregnant only one week after having sex. All you COULD get if you took a test that early would be a negative result.

• Jill

No. Too early. Wait 2 weeks from August 2nd if your period doesn't arrive. 

You can take it anytime.

But it would be negative at one week even if you did conceive.

It takes at least 14 days or even up to about 21 days for a test to be accurate.  

Since your period is irregular, if you wait 21 days and follow the test directions, it will be accurate.

If you have more sex or have sex often enough that there is never 21 days between having sex, then just test once per week anytime it has been more than 35 days since your last period.  

It would not be accurate.

Two weeks minimum after conception.

• It wouldn't be too accurate. Wait until your period and if it doesn't arrive, that's when you take the test. It'll give a more accurate result.