Any ideas what this flying object may have been?

I was outside in our backyard when I heard something whiz by over my head. I looked up in time to catch a glimpse of a small object moving at high speed across the sky. It moved roughly a quarter mile across the sky (maybe 150-200 feet off the ground) in about a second so I wasn't able to get a good look at it, but I'd say it was probably about the size of a large bird. It didn't sound mechanical (I think what I heard was just the object moving through the air at a high rate of speed). I know peregrine falcons can dive at upwards of 240 mph, but this object/animal was moving horizontally across the sky, maintaining a steady altitude as it disappeared out of view.

Could this have been a bird? It was FAST. Are there any really fast drones on the market? Our backyard sits adjacent to a forest owned by the nearby military base, and the object came from that direction. Are drones even allowed in military airspace?

Although I wasn't there to see it, that sounds like either a bird or drone. Both can fly faster than you think. You are very intelligent for thinking of these possibilities. 

• Jim

Sure, there are very fast, very quiet drones. I'm shocked at how fast they can go.

• Tom

It could be a JET powered, RC model airplane.  And yes they do make real JETS for them---they make a noise and move very fast.

The "UFO" type UFOs are peculiar in that they make NO noise at all.