Why do we drive on a Parkway and park on a Driveway? Why is there an Interstate Highway in Hawaii?

The first is word play.   How come we say a bacteria divides but a bunch of them multiply?     How come we honor hookers so much that we call the lights on the back of cars tail lights and the lights on the front of cars head lights?   

The correct name for the road system is the Eisenhower Interstate and Defense Highway System.   In Hawaii the roads connect the military installations on Oahu.   Check out a map,  they do not go anywhere other than to military facilities at the ends.   The civilians just get the benefit of it.  

Those were funny when first asked 30 years ago. Try something fresh. Epic joke fail. 

• A.J.

Transportation has odd word uses.

We get in cars, but on buses and planes and trains. What about a small bus; do we get in or on it?

As long as on Parkways and Driveways, we have highways but no lowways?

Airports I go to have doors instead of gates.

What exactly is converted in a convertible?

A non-stop flight doesn't have parachutes. It makes one stop.

A bulldozer has no bulls or sleeping.

Many interstate highways do not cross a state line. It is just part of a system and in Hawaii I think uses H instead of I.