Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 2 months ago

What does it say about modern music that Drake has more Billboard charted songs than The Beatles?

https://nypost.com/2019/06/25/drake-officially-has...

I literally can't name one Drake song. The only one I can think of is the one he did with Eminem and the two other guys. 

• Quato

It says Drake is better than the Beatles I suppose

• Smiley

Blame it on Canada.

• Nick

It mostly says that Drake released more singles than The Beatles.

I think we're talking about records, rather than songs - Drake has had more hit records/singles in the USA than The Beatles.

Well so he should. I appreciate the difference between Canada and the USA but they are both parts of North America. The Beatles were a band from the UK. The majority of UK bands have no records that are hits in North America. 

Drake has been releasing records for longer than The Beatles did and I think he has released more singles than they did.

Given that there are far more people in the world today, people generally have more money, recordings are available as records, CDs and digital downloads then a successful artist should sell far, far more records today than a successful artist in the 1960s.

In the UK (which is where The Beatles came from) they had many hit singles and EPs but their “songs” were also hits for other people: Billy J Kramer and The Dakotas (5 hit singles), Peter and Gordon, The Overlanders, Ray Morgan, Cilla Black, Marmalade, The Applejacks, Bad Finger, The Rolling Stones, The Fourmost, Tommy Quickly, Mary Hopkin,  Cliff Bennet and the Rebel Rousers, PJ Proby.

It's silly to use the number of hits on the Billboard chart as a way of evaluating the state of the music industry or popularity/success of an act if one is from North America and is active now and the other is from the UK and were active fifty years ago.

It says modern music is SCHEISSE.  When The Beatles recorded (less than 9 years in 1962-70), world population was 3.2B to 3.75B.  Fake has recorded 1.6X longer (14 years 2006-20).  During his time, world population was 6.6B to 7.8B.  Fake has recorded in a world with more than 2X more people.   His dubious "achievement" means less than zero.  The Beatles continue to be easily the best-selling musical act in history.  While Fake has charted more songs (224), he has but 7 #1's & 40 Top 10.

They, in far less time, had 20 #1 & 34 Top 10 of 71 charted songs.  NO other artist has a record to match The Beatles' figures.            

There is a lot less competition.

• dman63

I’ve never listened to any of Drake’s music, and I don’t bother with the Billboard charts. I don’t particularly care what’s popular. I get most of my music from the Internet, Internet radio stations, and from other sources like vinyl and CDs.

The charts only reflect the current sales. Really I don’t care who is hot with the young people. The Beatles were the best in their era in a certain category. 

I personally don’t bother with commercial radio anymore. The internet and NPR are my sources for music. 90% of my purchased music doesn’t get airplay at all.Not a problem, searching is half the fun.

It doesn't say anything about modern music, but it does say something about people these days.