Renting your property to the council ?

I want to rent my property to the council but I don’t know which ones in England does this. How can I find out  which ones does? Is there a website I can check? Thank you.

Some councils do this, but not all. You don't need a list, because the only council you can deal with is the council in the area that the property is located. For example, Kent county council is not going to take on your house if it's situated in Manchester.

Contact the housing department at your local council.

My next door neighbour (London) did that and it was a disaster.  Not only did the council put transients in there who trashed the place but it was almost impossible to evict them.  Just let your property in the normal way and use a reputable agent to manage it for you.

To Tavy and sunshine some councils do but only certain ones 

• Tavy

Councils don't take on properties. You find a tenant and they claim housing benefit.

The council doesn't lease properties for housing stock.

The council pays households or individuals housing benefit, which they then use to pay rent in private rentals.

So you just rent to individuals, who may or may not receive council benefits to pay their rent.