Can the cops give you a ticket/stop you for expired tags?

I bought a car for the first time through a private owner and I was not able to get an appointment with the dmv until October. The car is insured and the inspections and emissions are up to date (passed, good until 7/21), but the tags are expired (5/20). I don’t know what to do. I’m a college student and I really need my car, but I’m scared to drive around with expired tags. 

Favorite Answer

Yes a cop could pull you over for the expired tags but they most likely won't right now.  Most states' DMVs are experiencing an enormous backlog due to COVID and the cops are well aware of this.  Even if they do happen to stop and cite you for the tags, a trip in front of a traffic court judge with proof that you had an appointment date scheduled to resolve the matter probably gets the ticket thrown out anyway.  Good luck. 

Go to the police station and ask them.

Yes but they might not. Call your dmv and try to get an extension. I need to get a 3 day so I can make appt for smog, then make sure it passes before I reregister.

Not in my state, Pennsylvania.  The state quit issuing new tags a few years ago.  So everyone has an out of date tag on his plate.

• Ron

Got news for you. Neither the inspection nor the emissions are "up to date" with a new owner

• Erik

Of course.  I was stopped several times last year, but I also had a bad taillight.  They looked at my info and then let me go.  Just carry your paperwork in your car, and try to get it taken care of ASAP.