Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 5 months ago

Why won't my old school friend let me move in?

I recently got in touch with a girl who I was best friends with back in junior high. She moved when we were 12, we didn't keep in touch. Now at 28 I got in touch with her on Facebook and we met up. She rents her own apartment,  she's got a job as a graphics designer, she's single like me (we're both straight girls). She doesn't have that many friends. I still live with my parents but have been wanting to move out.  Then I thought who better to have as a roommate than an old friend. 

I mentioned if I moved in it could half her rent, we could share a room, we'd be at work all day so we won't get under eachothers feet. She said that'll be cool but now she's ignoring my messages on Facebook. What gives?

• Edna

She's thought it over, and she's decided that she doesn't want you (or anyone else) as a roommate. She prefers to live alone, and she doesn't want anyone "under foot".at any time.  

"I thought who better to have as a roommate than an old friend"  You did; did you?  She hasn't been your "old friend" since she moved away you were both 12 years old - that was 16 years ago. 

• Sandy

she likes her privacy. were you a slob in junior high?

She is settled.  She has her life well-organised, and she doesn't want anyone buggering it up.  She might well consider you a liability if you still depend on your parents.  She has no intention of taking their place.

• Jerry

That you recently got in touch with someone you haven't been in touch with for 16 years and quickly after that suggest moving into her home -- that suggests that the reason you got in touch is so as to move into her home. She probably rethought rekindling the friendship and decided it might not be such a great idea. 

It's none of your business why.   She doesn't owe you any explanations. 

I would just give her time, maybe she'll get back to you, maybe she won't. But in the meantime I would just try to look for your own place to live if you can. When I got out of college I wanted to move in with one of my best friends from college, we always talked about getting an apartment and living together, but that never happened because after living with her parents she moved in with her grandmother to help her since her grandfather passed away, so all that got shattered and I'm very glad I didn't wait around for my friend to get the apartment for us and that I have my own apartment.