Kevin asked in PetsCats · 5 months ago

My cat will not stop peeing outside his litter box. What can I do to fix this?

He lives with my parents, and he keeps peeing in the same room outside his box all over our furniture. We have probably spent a few thousand dollars in the last 3 years because of this and it’s causing a great deal of stress (as my dad isn’t too fond of cats to begin with). We’ve put him on Xanax (or some other sedative), bought a plug-in sprayer that is supposed to calm his mood, but he keeps on peeing, and as I mentioned before the stress level is so high that my parents are considering sending him to live somewhere else. There has got to be something we can do to fix this. A vet suggested a urine sample to see if he has a UTI (but that raises another question: how do we get a urine sample from a cat?). Please, we’re desperate.

u get urine sample from a cat very easily -  A VET DOES IT. the look at his bladder with ultrasound, and puncture the stomach in the correct place with the needle and take urine sample. it takes around 5 min max and is more accurate if u start collecting urine sample yourself. i m very surprised your vet to whom u allegedly showed the cat didn't tell u that

Had this cat seen a vet? He really needs to be tested for urinary tract problems (not just infection) if he hasn't already. The vet will be able to get the urine sample. They use a needle and stick it right into the bladder or they can use a catheter.