how do i replace a starter on a 1998 ford contour  2.0L?

when i turn the key the starter want turn i hear nothing it was clicking before but now it don't say anything.

the battry terminals is clean the battery show 12.7 volts i don't know which relay is the start relay it don't show know reading on the cover can you send me a wiring digram?

It's a bugger: To all you know-it-alls: this one has to be taken out from the top:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrAA_7f60Ls

Youtube thumbnail

No I can't . 12 volts as many point out is meaningless without  a load. Charge battery First, get free load test at the 'Zone. If you can now start it. more likely it was battery or is charging system (they will check that, too).  I had trouble finding S. relay on my Toy, I finally found it in one book (but Not the other). it still isn't clear which is which. I guess I have to remove entire #2 fuse panel to double check that  it isn't wiring issue. It is at very top, I can feel but not See it.  (Toyotas  Love to have 3 fuse boxes, all with  relays and thermal breakers .)

SOUNDS MORE LIKE A DEAD BATTERY.

• M.

It don't say nothin?? 

Remove battery negative cable from battery. 

Remove wires from starter. 

Remove bolts from starter. 

Don't let the starter fall onto the ground!  It may be heavier than you expect.

• Erik

Make sure it's the starter first.  If you can jump it, it's not the starter.  Also any auto parts store will check your battery and alternator for free.  If it is the starter, for most cars it's an easy job.  Look it up on Youtube.

Voltage with no load on the battery means nothing. Does the car start with a jump? Yes? Then it needs a new battery

If you need to ask how to change the starter, then take the car to a mechanic and have it repaired correctly. This is not a job for you. 

Have you tried charging the battery for 6 hours yet?

Clean battery terminals.  Charge the battery.  Remove start relay.  Key ON, briefly short the load side of the start relay connection with a jumper wire.  Starter cranks (or car starts), the starter is good.  Check start relay, ignition switch and park/neutral switch. 

Starter does not crank, remove starter and bench test it.

i would get a mechanic to help you with it

• Kenny

It could be the starter relay .