Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Landlord issues?

I paid late rent (money order) to my landlord by mail. I was late on the payments because I lost my job due to covid 19. He gave me a 3 day notice a few months ago. Now he did not accept my rent and returned it back. This landlord is very rude and never repairs anything. What should I do because the landlord did not accept my rent and returned it back. What is going to happen? The landlord is not accepting my rent or filing an eviction. I have paid my rent already to him but it's returned. What should I do? Should I go file a case to court ?

What would you file on?  The fact that you paid your rent late? Did you include a late fee? Did you make arrangements with your landlord to pay late because of your job loss? Was there any communication at all between you and the landlord? You may not have much of a case if you try to file--and where exactly were you thinking of filing? For matters under $5000 your only real option is small claims court--but if you have suffered no damages of some sort, then you don't really have any case TO file. 

The rent was returned to you--so you still owe it. Plus whatever rent and fees have accumulated since then. 

You may end up with the judgement against you and not the landlord. What does your lease say about late payment? Have you tried to contact the landlord to find out?

Save the rent money and be prepared to pay it.  Document that you paid and he refused it.

file for what?  if landlord isn't doing anything, there is nothing to file, hold on to the payments with proof you tried to pay and wait for him to take you to court....assuming you can now pay all the rent.

what about moving out?

He returned it because more than likely you are short with rent money and you paid way to late and decided to move with eviction proceedings.just get evicted and move with someone.yes he will evict you sooner or later.

Lack of repairs nor his attitude have anything to do with your inability to pay on time.  Those are all seperate issues that have nothing to do with eachother. 

What will happen depends on if evicitons due to nonpayment are still banned in your state or not. Most have been extended but not in every state.  If the ban has been lifted in your state then you will be evicted.  

Yes dragging it out WILL make it worse for you. You would end up owing more money in the long run. 

Due to covid,  he may he SOL.  yes he can evict you, but evictions are so backed up you may just be able to live out the end of your lease before he can actually get a court date and then a final eviction date. 

Dragging it out won't make it any worse for you.  An eviction is an eviction there aren't different degrees so go ahead and make him miserable.

Where I live, the courts are running at half capacity and most civil cases are backed up several months at minimum.  how many more months is on your lease?

• Maxi

Start packing and looking for another place to rent......... you breached the contract so you have no claim to file in court

• R P

He is going to have you evicted through the court when it reopens in your area.

Save your rent money & set it aside, preferably in an escrow account. You still owe the rent so when it comes time, the money will be there to pay your debt.

• Barry

Pay any rent due into an escrow account and tell the landlord. Your bank should be able to arrange this. Email or write saying that you wish to pay rent and have no intention of leaving. Keep copies as a judge will look favourably on your efforts to pay. Sit tight as evictions cost money and end up in court. So your landlord is likely to lose out all round.

• Rick B

He is evicting you.  Should you file a court case????  On what basis???