What does it mean when someone says not bad at all?

I mean people saw me box in the ring and punch the bag he said not bad at all what does that mean am I a good fighter average or what?

Favorite Answer

It means you're good and better than he expected you would be.

Most people use that to mean "decent" or "adequate".  It's not as strong a praise as great or very good, but it's on the positive side of average.

It depends more on how it was said than the words, really.  A person could say "not bad" and be trying to avoid being mean about it and saying the person is actually bad but he won't be the one to say so, OR it could be an understatement, meaning the person is actually pretty good but the speaker does not want to reveal that opinion, or it could be said fairly literally, to mean that the person is not bad but not great either.  kind of in the middle.  The same words can be used to mean different things.  Which is why they are often used: it keeps the true thoughts hidden.

It is a non-comment that seems to be an actual comment but tells nothing, if that is how the speaker wants to use it.  And that is often why they use it, so they don't actually have to say what they are truly thinking.

He thinks you may have good potential to progress within the sport.   You made a good first impression.