Anonymous

I don't know what to do covid issues with employment ?

I'm trying to find work out of state. It seems in my field they are wanting to hire VERY quickly (within days.) There is not much work in my field in the state I'm currently living in. Most of the jobs in my field are hours away. We are talking well over 15 hours away. I live on the east coast and most jobs in my field seem to be in the midwest area. I've had multiple job offers but I cannot start until after labor day. My mom is having major heart surgery next Monday so I'm home with her until Labor day. I've had multiple interviews but as soon as I tell them I can't start till after Labor Day they aren't interested. I've had a few even mention to me their concern with hiring people out of state due to covid. Apparently one company got "burned" multiple times by employees agreeing to come from out of state then changing their minds due to covid cases increasing etc. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Should I just move to the mid-west without a job. I'm going to be renting out my house so that will provide me with around 750.00 additional money each month. NOT a lot. I have SOME savings left over (again, not a lot) enough to get my by until at least December. Does anyone have opinions here? In my state specifically the few jobs I have found I've gotten emails back saying the job has been postponed or they no longer are hiring for that position due to covid. What's everyone's thoughts? 

• Judy

Find a job first, THEN move.  Just moving to the 'midwest' does not put you where someone might want to hire you unless you're really lucky - the midwest is a big place.  Good luck to your mom with her surgery.

1. You call it a "career" but career jobs don't expect people to start within days of the interview.

2. You say they aren't willing to wait 3 weeks, which means it's a really easy to fill position.

So it difficult to help direct you. 

But if you know where you want to go instead of a general area of the mid-west which is about 1/3rd of the US land, then go ahead and go when you are ready.

• n2mama

I think it sounds like you could focus on being there for your mom, and then after Labor Day look for jobs once you are actually available to relocate. I wouldn’t suggest moving without a job, there’s a ton of risk and expense involved with that, but if companies in your industry are hiring very quickly it seems like maybe that won’t be an issue. So help mom recover from her surgery, then when you are the position to actually relocate, start up the job search again. If things are moving as fast as you indicate, you should have no issues.

Honestly due to covid you shouldn’t do drastic changes without a solid plan.Even renting your house could be a problem since most people aren’t making enough Or not working.I wouldn’t move out of state.if u have savings just wait until next year until covid cases go down and until your mom gets better because heart surgery can take months to recover.and moving her isn’t a good idea nor should you put your health at risk.you will find a job anytime even if it’s not in your field.but yeah wait until next year to do all this because the cases aren’t slowing down 

(I don’t blame other people for not going it is dangerous) and the economy will not pick up for a while.if u need money now you could work from home.Until things blow over and do your plan.good luck!