Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 2 months ago

Will this work in the long run ?

My one year old is so used to sleeping in bed with me because he basically did that ever since he was born. He literally wakes up in the middle of the night and I put him in bed with me because I’m so tired and that’s the only way I can go back to sleep is if I put him in bed with me. I’m trying to finally break him out of that habit because I’m physically exhausted for having to wake up constantly when he cries. I’ve been downing caffeine so I can keep myself awake so when he cries in the middle of the night, I’ll be awake enough to put him back in his crib each time he cries. I’ve been doing that for about 3 nights now and he hasn’t slept with me since then. When he cries in the middle of the night, I hold him until he falls back to sleep and then I put him back in his crib. Will this teach him that he’s not going to sleep with me anymore and that he sleeps in his crib alone? Will this work in the long run? If so, how long will it take for him to start sleeping through the night on his own?

Yes that should teach him, if you want him to learn how to self soothe maybe try waiting 5 minutes when he wakes up in the middle of the night before going in to rock him. Not saying let him cry it out by himself just saying maybe give him a few minutes to see if he settles himself. Keep doing what you’re doing and keep it consistent. I’d expect him to catch on & to be sleeping through the night in a week or two