Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

I refuse to stay late for work if I am not getting paid for it. Why do people feel the need to stay for unpaid work?

If I was getting paid for it then I would stay, but I see so many co-workers stay up to 1 or even a few hours of extra work because they are most likely afraid of being fired by the not - so - friendly manager, as well as probably other personal reasons.

I've never been afraid of any unfriendly boss nor have I been given hell for it at my place. Even if she tries to start that conversation beginning with "Heading out now, are we?" I usually just reply with "Yup. the work will still be there tomorrow. Have a good night." And she never has anything else to say after that.

I don't say it to be rude, just in a matter of fact ind of way while still maintaining the fake work - friendly personality that is required to keep a job.

Why don't more people have the courage to do this? I'm sure if my boss had any problems with my behavior I would have been fired after the 3 month probation period, I assume. When I am at work though, I stay focused on a task throughout the day with minimal to no distractions and get as much done as I can.

• Foofa

People do this because salaried employees don't get overtime but they are judged based on getting the job done. Go ahead and knock off early, just don't be surprised if you get fired. 

• Prince

Good for you. Too many people nowadays are losing all the gains that previous generations fought so hard for, as in workers' rights as well as political rights. The Rights get eroded as spineless characters fail to assert them.

• drip

Employees who want to move ahead. Get promoted. If I show an extra effort it will help. 

At my job, which is retail, corporate will not allow you to work while off the clock. I think that has to do with liability. 

Some feel obligated to stay especially if other are Staying. 

All comes down to personal choice, and what feels right for the individual.  Each employee has their own work ethic and for all the people who choose to work beyond their regular hours, there are equally as many who do as you do and leave when the shift is done.

I have seen this a lot, mostly from workaholic managers or bullying, narcissistic ones. You sound confident in your performance and ability; however, to protect yourself, it might be a good idea to keep a log of the manager's comments along with a running status of what you accomplished. You obviously are sharp, but you never know what is going to happen.

Why don't more people do that? They have families to support and bills to pay. Intimidating managers chip away at employees' self-esteem.