Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

What would you do if this were your dog?

My family dog an Am Staff mix is 15 years old this year and his age has really caught with him in these last 12 months from,

● Sleeping a lot (understandable)

● Bowel incontinence (he poops without realising it's happening), 

● not so steady on his feet

● Diagnosed recently with arthritis and laryngeal paralysis.

We have taken him to the vet about these problems and have given us a daily medication to give him for his arthritis that the vet said can be of added help for his larynx function. If this medication doesn't help there's only two more options-

1.) a pretty serious surgery on his larynx which is risky due to his age and the potential for puenomia infection is concerning.

2.) euthanasia.

My dad and I are on the same page where if there's no improvements for our dog we don't want to make him suffer through a serious surgery at his age which can end up killing him on the operating table or because infection set In needing his to be humanely put to sleep at the end of it. Mum thinks differently currently.

So Im curious to know what would you do? Are my dad and I really jumping to quick on the euth idea? 

I would make him comfortable. Spend time with him. Take him to his favorite place. Let him go on his own. Like he's supposed to. Euthanasia is wrong. It's "Humane" they say. What is the word within that word? "Human". Humans come up with inhumane and humane.God created all living things to be born and die. To intervene is pretty much murder however you want to look at it. Humans call it Euthanasia to make themselves feel ok with it. It's not ok. It's murder. If that was your grandparent instead of your dog would you want putting him down or being by his side and let him go on his own when it's his time

• jean

i would take the vets advice

I believe in euthanasia when the quality of life for a pet is decreased for whatever reason (s).

Your dog is at the stage of life where he is nearing the end. You actually have a third option which is to make him comfortable and let him go on his own terms. But I truly can't tell you what to do.

If the dog is clearly in pain, and he will not recover, the time has arrived for you and your folks to set aside your own grief and do what is best for the dog. It's not fair to keep him alive just because you don't want to let go. It sounds to me like your mom needs to talk to the vet herself, and hear what is going on from him or her. That might help to convince her that the time has arrived to put your dog down.

I would do the right and humane thing and put him down. He can't be having a good quality of life.l

I've had a dog with laryngeal paralysis and he was old and there is no way I would have even considered an operation on it and mostly because of two friends I'd known who did have the operation and both on fairly older dogs and the recuperation was horrendous for them.

If he had about a possible five years left to live then maybe... but I wouldn't do this for a dog of his age.

So sorry as it sounds like it is quite advanced as lack of control of the back end both legs and poops are part of the condition.  

I knew when it was time to put my boy to sleep.    He'd gone for a check up at the vets as he'd got really slow for the past couple of weeks and the vet thought that he was still managing, but when we got out of the vets and he couldn't even make it to the car 30 ft away I went back and made the appointment for the next day... and it was time.

Thinking of you in this awful decision as it is always so difficult. 

It has no more quality of life and will only deteriorate further .... So i would put the poor dog out of it misery in all truth.

I would let him go, he is not having fun any more.

I know it's easy to say "put the dog down" when it's not your dog, but this is honestly what I would do. Your dog is OLD and in a ton of pain. Hanging onto an ill/old animal is very selfish.