Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

I might need surgery and my doc says I must get a covid test first. Why?

I don’t understand because he was able to see me as a patient for the MRI and the initial consult to inspect whether or not my bone was broken but now that I need surgery I have to pay to get a test? What’s the correlation. I already signed the waiver when I saw him that I had no symptoms and such and he was able to see me, what does surgery change about that?

I’m concerned because the surge of false positives happening because if I get a false positive I’m guessing I can’t have the surgery and this is urgent surgery that can’t be postponed 

It might be as simple as the procedure will have to be done at a hospital that's better equipped to handle patients with communicable diseases.

Hospitals separate patients with injuries from those with diseases to prevent potential cross contamination.

If you're unsure, ask your doctor what the impact would be if you were to test positive. If you have concerns about potential false positives, again ask your doctor what the procedure would be to get a second test to confirm the results of the first.

• Foofa

The hospital/surgery center is a separate business and has a separate set of rules. 

Because for surgery you have to be admitted, etc.  

• Katy M

It would be dangerous to anesthetize someone with a respiratory illness.

Also, Covid is highly trasnmissible and there have been many cases of patients passign it to nurse/doctors who then pass it to other patients. They can not knowingly let a Covid positive patient in unless they confine them to the Covid ward.