I just found out?

a person where I work has covid , the company tried to hide this from everyone why would they do something like that ?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Lv 7
    4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

i would call your local health department for your county. you will get a few weeks off of work (paid), and the threat will be gone :)

your employer probably still believes in Trump, who said that the virus was "on its way out", and "wasn't that serious". but it IS that serious. i just recently was released from the ICU at my hospital, having EXTREME trouble breathing. they said i could have died, and that they had had over 100 Coronavirus deaths there so far...

• 3 months ago

All contagious diseases need to be reported!

Source(s): Be sure to call the local department of health. The hiding of crucial information is inexcusable. If some ne is sick with a contagious disease, it needs to be reported.
  • 4 months ago

There are laws that make it a crime for a business to reveal health information about its employees.  They can be sued for doing that.  It is a violation of what are known as HIPAA laws.  fines can be as much as $100,000 for every person they reveal the information to.

It makes little sense from a safety stand point.  When there is a pandemic then the information should be given to people.  But the law says they can not without that person's written permission.

However when a person is tested and found to be positive the virus, the health department can require them to list all contacts with other people over the last X number of days (vary by local laws.)  The Health Department will then contact those people and let them know that they may have been exposed to the virus and that they should get tested.  But they can and will not reveal the source of the infection.

I work in the IT department of a large medical practice at the time.  Just about every day we get a request to set up a laptop for someone so that they can work from home for the next 5 to 14 days.  We know WHY they are working from home, but the company can not tell us.  And we are not permitted to share your suspicions with anyone.

To date we have had several people who have had to be out for five days until the results of a COVID test cleared them.  But so far we have not had any of our over 250 employees actually get the virus.  And we are in regular contact with about 400 to 500 people a day who are all high risk people for having and spreading the virus.  The virus is not as contagious as many people think.

• VP
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Because there are laws about talking about people's health matters and companies can be sued for releasing that info. 

Do you expect an announcement if an employee contracts AIDS or the Swine Flu, too?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

Report the to the Dept. of Health in your state.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

To a business, making money and having production is more important than the employees.  

EDIT to ADD; HIPAA laws state they cannot give out SPECIFIC employees health information. It says nothing about general well being, and in fact OSHA would want employees to know about a possible infectious virus and what is being done to keep employees safe.  It's the difference between "John Smith has the virus." and "We've had a case of the virus in an employee."  NOT telling employees about the virus being in house can only be construed as 'bottom line' thinking.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.