Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

Why do different people sometimes have completely different views of you as a person?

My friends from 2 different phases in my life view me in completely different ways. All my friends from when I was young in high school and in college all think of me as this shy guy, but all my friends from my adult life when I was like 25 and older all view me as a really outgoing guy. My ex girlfriend from college who I'm still friends with still thinks of me as a really quiet guy even though I'm not and sometimes she still mistakes me for the guy I used to be like 10 years ago, even though I'm a completely different person now. Why do people's first impressions of you stick for years? For example, even my parents still think of me as this little boy and treat me as such even though I'm 35 years old now, they treat me like I'm 9 years old

I notice that couples that started dating when they were young still treat each other and the relationship is if it's young and fun and juvenile. Like people that have been together since they were 16 years old still act like 16 years old together, even though they act like grown adults with other people. Or like when people reunite with their high school friends when they are 30+, they revert back to old behavior they shared in high school together

• Zirp

We all look though different glasses, influenced by our background.

I remember one guy who took part in a biketour I did. Everybody who spoke german liked him, those who spoke English thought him a rear orifice.

• Jen

Every person you come in contact with gets a different part of you, you are not all things to everyone.