Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

How can people not enjoy their own company?

I hear pretty often on this site and others that people simply can't stand for being in a room by themselves for just a couple hours. I always have something to do that I love when I am alone that sometimes I just don't have time for it all in one day.

I am also quite comfortable going out and doing activities on my own. Such as going to a movie, concert, museum (art or history), etc. I also don't understand why some people find it so taboo to take yourself out and do something without a friend or a significant other. 

Are you someone who hates being alone or are you more like me? I also find that some people are afraid to admit they prefer their own company in fear that others will make fun of them for it. Yes, I've already heard all the masturbation jokes. You can keep them 😉

Congrats to you for finding pleasure in your own thoughts and activities. It is rare. It took me a long time to figure out why I enjoy my own company. People are so needy for approval from others that they contort themselves into beings unrecognizable even to themselves. They don't even know who they are, let alone have any idea if they find themselves worthy of self-esteem. Blaise Pascal said it very well:

“All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.”

Most people are not likeable. I understand why they can't stand themselves. I know I sure can't stand them.

A guy who basts his headphones so loud you can hear them across the room said about why he does that "I don't want to hear my own thoughts." Most people seem to have thoughts that cause them harm. "you're fat, ugly stupid, you're going to die young, your mother never loved you..." That's why they can't just sit and think. But the theatrical hell-loop is just that; because they can't sit and work through the thought, it just keeps coming at them.

Like a pile of laundry. The more you avoid it, the bigger it gets. You need to take some time to work through it to stop seeing the pile. Yes, you are fat and ugly and your mother never loved you. Now what?

I guess it's in their heads they need someone.