Do people get married for reasons other than love?

I'm kinda curious.  My last girlfriend was a great girl...I even considered the prospect of marrying her because I knew she would be a great wife...but for some reason I just didn't love her.  I don't know why.  I just wasn't attracted, even though she was good looking....I don't know how to explain this really.  But it got me thinking...have people just gotten married for superficial reasons, like maybe it was financially beneficial, or simply because they were lonely?  or any other reasons?

• rick

Most lasting relationships are based on trust, respect, mutual interests, sexual compatibility and NOT love. Love is fleeting, and unreliable. Most love based unions fail.

People are totally confused between the term "love" and "love".  They are completely different with unrelated meanings.  It is the lack of vocabulary.  Love grows with time.  Few people can actually have experienced love at the time they get married.  They may have the hots for their partner.  Or lust after them.  They don't actually learn to love their partner until at least ten years into the marriage.

Financially beneficial, companionship and friendship are NOT superficial.  LUST is superficial because it frequently fades as quickly as it began. 

I can only say that I discovered that I wanted to BE with her.  To talk with her and walk with her.  To share the burdens of life with her.  I found that with her I was a complete person without her I was empty and hollow.  You see in theory you could have sex with anyone which is why cheating is seen so negatively.  You don't need a wife for that. 

It is possible that you abandoned the love of your life for the wrong reasons.  I cannot know.

Yes people do, but are they really happy? You saw you had no love for that girl, so you let it be. You have to have some kind of attraction to a person, or you are going to be unhappy or divorced in no time.

As a 38 year-old that has never been on a date - my guess is that that sometimes happens.

Some people are eager to escape their wacko parents for some new challenge... and some go into a marriage KNOWING that the financial situation will be alright - albeit putting priority on financial stability which is an element of leaving a dramatic, abusive household.

It's all vexed.

Leaving one bad situation for another bad one doesn't always make sense - even though in this Covid environment where we have been thoroughly taught that nothing is predictable - a new setting often seems to offer a (possibly) different outcome.

o yes.... there are some couples who thinks marriage is like a business.   If the man is a good provider and then the company runs smooth.   When the man is not a good provider, then the company goes bankrupt like now.... thats like a business....