Ashley asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Help with my kittens ?

I have to kittens there both 4 maybe 5 months I've had them only a few weeks they will only eat wet food will not eat dry at all I got them Purina kitten mix and they will just sniff it and walk away is it normal for a kitten that age not to touch dry food at all or is there another kind maybe I can try does anyone have suggestions on another brand or maybe what I can do to maybe get them to eat dry food

Cats will be cats!! Just like humans they have individual tastes and you pretty much just have to learn what theirs is and run with it. Their taste, just like humans can change over time as well. The MAJOR thing I would recommend first of all, make sure your kitty food has LES than 8% ash in the contents...that's the MAX I would ever allow my cats to eat. And too, I ALWAYS have a bowl, or feeder with dry cat food in it for them to eat any time they want to. They WILL get use to that being around too. Other than that, I recommend a HUGE dose of DAILY love and affection. That's something you'll receive back from them...they're like little kids you know, and hard headed like them too! KEEP YOUR KITTIES INDOORS!! 

Try Friskies, I feed it to my cats sometimes and my local shelter feeds it to their cats, and they don't have any eating problems

It's common for kittens to refuse dry food at first, because it's not as easy for them to eat it in comparison to wet food. It can be harder for them to chew it, especially if they're at the teething stage.

If you want them to eat dry food too, I'd recommend that you try mixing some dry food with the moist food, or moisten the dry food with some water to soften it.

Hope this helps.

Dry food is not a good idea. It rots the gums & teeth. My kitties like Sheba.

You've got to try them,or give them dry food. It's good for them as you probabaly know

• Ocimom

Dry food is not good for them - it can cause obesity, UTI issues, and liver/kidney failure at an early age.  They do better on can or raw food diet then any kind of dry.  I lost one of my cats to liver/kidney failure at 3 yrs old feeding mainly dry food (premium, not cheap).  Almost lost a 2nd one to UTI issues.  I stopped feeding dry for the most part.

Also please have them spayed/neutered as they will breed each other very soon.

Stop trying to get them to eat dry. Canned food is much healthier. 

• Maxi

I would not be feeding them anything but wet food and would change to a better option than purina....... dry fed cats also suffer more medical issues, so you are risking far more vet bills, so feeding dry is false economy

Cats are finicky eaters. Not much you can do about it. Give them what they want to eat and try different kinds of cat food if they stop eating.

That's as it should be. Cats' systems are designed for moist food, like a nice tasty morsel of freshly killed mouse. In fact that's where they get most of their moisture from, which is why you don't often see them drink. Dry food is not good for them, though they will eat it if they have to.  One of the problems is that it is often short on nutrition, and when they eat it it will swell up from the moisture in their stomachs and can cause no end of internal problems.