Will the software in the future be more for a subscription, or more for a one-time purchase?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Lv 7
    4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

if things turn sub, i won't be buying them. i already use an older version of Photoshop, because CC is annoying. i don't like having to login just to use something i paid for.

you can make more money with a subscription plan, if your program is popular enough. but your customer base will halve as well, as most people hate that, and would look for a plan b...

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

whatever the CONSUMER WANTS.

You forget many people can LIVE WITHOUT COMPUTERS.  It is not a NECESSITY of LIFE.

Some have it in their EULA it will always be free, relying on advertising to pay for it so everytime you see an advert for something -someone is getting paid...in the hopes that the thing advertized is exactly what you wanted so you go out and buy it.(using real money)  There is so many companies that can write software programs, nothing is new.

• garry
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

not many software is a subscription only , easiest way to get money out of you , seems they like a 12 month subsriptions , more money from you .

• 4 months ago

The big deal with SaaS (software as a service) is maintenance.  No matter how complex the End User License Agreement gets, the proprietors of that software have a fiduciary responsibility to maintain it.  The Federal Government likes SaaS because that way, they don't need a separate line item for software support teams (or if they do, the line item is smaller.)

For some software, that is a HUGE inducement.  For other things, not so much.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

If you look at the current trends, things are moving more towards the subscription based model(SAAS). However, I do not see the one-time purchase model going away any time soon. I think a lot of the bigger companies will move to the SAAS model(most already have) and a lot of the smaller indie companies will continue to offer both or, just the one-time model. 

• 4 months ago

Subscriptions are the new thing.......

• 4 months ago

There is likely no one answer. Smaller companies, such as those that market utility software, will likely keep the upgrade strategy. The ones most likely to benefit from subscriptions are those that market software used by professionals, as these people are highly dependent on the software's performance capabilities.

• 4 months ago

At the time, the trend is toward subscription.  As it prevents the pirating of software and makes more money for the creators, it is likely to continue to be the trend.  Also the company are spared the expense of having to make up CDs of the software, package it, ship it, etc.  It makes the distribution of the software much cheaper and easier.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Kill the Goose, or Keep stealing the Eggs.

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

renewable subscription

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.