Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

Whats the point of losing weight? I'm gonna be fat forever.?

It takes 5 weeks to lose 5 pounds and 1 day to gain it all back. I eat one Cheesecake Factory family meal and it's like I didn't lose a thing.

I can't answer you, but I can say I'm glad to see someone else ask it! I dieted for two weeks and lost 2 lbs! I went off it for one day and gained 3. It's so unfair and hopeless.

The point of losing weight is so you maybe don't die of a preventable illness caused by being obese.

Measure your progress using other methods like bodyfat or use a tape measure,  photos also help.  You wouldn't have gained 5 pounds of fat in one meal. If you're eating healthily 99% of the time then you will probably hold more water after eating high calorie sugary foods.  Probably some inflammation also. One blip shouldn't ruin your goals. Just carry on as if it didn't happen. Don't let the scales be your mood maker. Weight fluctuates quite a lot especially monthly if you're a female.  Don't be disheartened. You didn't gain the weight in one day it will take a while to lose those extra pounds also.  Good luck. 

The point is up to you.  

Only you can decide what the point is for you. Some people do it for medical reasons, some for vanity, there is no one "point" that would be applicable to every single individual.

Lmbo that's not fat entirely from the cheesecake factory. It's water and the weight of the food itself. Keep up the good work.

• Andy C

True, if being fat were the only concern.   People who regularly consume added sugars and white flour products will eventually get diabetes II,  heart disease,  hypothyroidism, PCOS, acne,  IBS, poor immunity,  skin afflictions or fatty liver disease. 

This is science and it doesn't matter if you agree.   Yes, most skinny Americans are actually in the same health boat as most obese people. 

BTW,  quit the above and you will finally stop overeating and get thin...in months...and it's permanent....and you can be like me,  thin, and eat until full at every meal and every snack of every day and not gain any fat.

But hey, it's your body,  right?

I grew up fat and was obese at my heaviest. 

It's true. Losing weight is super tedious and often it is more discouraging then stress relieving. But is it worth giving up now to just look in the mirror a year from now being disappointed that you gave up so soon? That's my philosophy. "Don't give up what you want most for what you want now." It is totally ok to have a cheat day, and have bad weeks, and even to feel discouraged... but if you stick with it, you'll reach your goals eventually and you'll be so proud of yourself for sticking with it!

Also, just to be super technical, it doesn't take one day to gain 5 pounds. (idk if that was an exaggeration or not so I'm just clarifying) But your body weight will fluctuate, so make sure you're only weighing yourself once a week (early in the morning after using the bathroom) in order to keep yourself motivated. You got this! Have confidence and don't give up no matter what!!

A Cheesecake Factory Family meal bypasses your stomach and goes directly to your hips.

• .

5 lbs of fat can be lost in 3 - 5 weeks, yeah.

5 lbs of fat CANNOT be gained in 1 day. If you weigh more the day after a binge, it's typically water weight (esp since binge type foods are often high in sodium, which causes fluid retention). 

.

If you want to stay the weight you are, that's your business. To gain 5 lbs in 1 day you'd have to have a calorie excess of 17,500 (which means your total calorie consumption would be more like 19,000 or so). Moderation in eating, is key (don't eat the entire "family meal").

• kelvin

maybe you need to change the way you think about weight loss