Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Bargain! I'm about to buy a nice 2017 vehicle (SUV) on Craigslist for $400.00... Is there a catch?

It's like new... except for the owner losing the key, so it needs started with a screwdriver in the ignition, but that's easily fixable :)

It turned out to be a 2007 SUV, not a '2017' (a typo on Craigslist) and it had a 'salvage title' as wrecked/repaired. So, I walked away from the deal... Anyway, what is up with all the "Troll accusations" here? I thought this was a safe place for a teen girl to ask "car guys" a question? SHAME ON YOU!

I could sell an SUV for SCRAP METAL and get more then $400.

If someone is offering one for that amount, they don't believe it is worth TOWING to a scrap yard.

Even a STOLEN vehicle would sell for more than that.

Note: There hasn't been a car with a model year starting with 2 that CAN be started with a screwdriver.

• Andy C

Your father had me believing that you were only getting troll accusations when in fact you were getting lots of good advice.  No keys, no title,  no dice. 

You don't want to be arrested. 

Here's some more advice:

Asking anything online is bound to receive negative feedback and quite often absolute lunacy. 

You need to be like a duck and shed that nasty water off of your back because if you let it in, it'll turn you into a negative person at best; an outright monster at worst. 

Good job walking away and 'typo' my aching left @$$.  That's what is known as bait and switch and it is HIGHLY illegal. 

Beware!

NEVER buy a used car without a key. 

And it's a good thing you walked away. Any time you find a car for under $500 you can BET there is some catch. ALWAYS. You don't really need a 'car guy' to know that. 

your a teen? are you hot? you did the right thing since your not mechanically savvy.

anyway as soon as it says "broken key" you wanna steer clear since its most likely a repo or stolen in some other way 

just the key  lock replacement adds another 1000 on the tab plus you gotta figure there more which there was.

if your looking for a broken car go directly to salvage or junkyard.

otherwise go to used car lot. seriously for what it would cost you could bargin a great deal at lot.

also figure on price of gas going back up. gas is not cheap now but its going to go higher.

once you decide to sink into a car you understand you'll need as much to cover the cost over your lifetime as you need for house.

auto? extremely expensive.

$400 or $4,000?... Anyway, if the car had an aftermarket 'remote start' system installed, that system might override the microchip security in the ignition, and feasibly the 'old school' way (a screwdriver) could work... Anyway, this Craigslist seller sounds shady... I wouldn't contact them.

Like new? So it is fresh from the factory with 0 miles?

Make sure he has the title and the VIN matches the title.

I smell a troll      

No title, no dice!

I would not take it at any price.