Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 5 months ago

What would cause the left rear wheel of my car to squeak loudly while driving at any speed?

Is that potentially a costly repair?

Bad wheel bearing probably. It should be less than $100.00

• Andy C

Bad brakes,  probably $500-1000 to replace. 

First thing to do is to check the brakes. It could be the brake letting you know it's worn out. Check ALL of 'em while you're at it, if one is worn the others can be right behind.  Could also be a bit of grit stuck in there.

The disk brake wear indicator reed on the brake pad can do  that to let you know the pad is thin almost metal to metal. Costly? Depends what car, what shop and the quality of parts. I would just slap a new set of pads in it, flush the brake lines, adjust the parking brake and go my merry way. Pads- about $40 and 1/2- one hour on the jackstands. I had a neighbor pay $400 to have new brakes on his Silverado. I would have charged him $100 and he buy parts. 

Get a brake job done on the left rear.

• ?

A bad wheel bearing or squeaking brake pad. If it’s a brake pad, there’s a good chance of fixing it by removing the pads, smearing anti-squeal paste on the back of them, and reinstalling them. If your brake pads are worn out, there’s a metal tab that makes a noise. Jack the car up on that corner and turn the wheel and see what happens.