Question for a chiropractor ?

I went to doc for lower back pain. He told me to schedule appointment with chiropractor and take an x-day. Next day he calls with results that I have spondylolithesis. He tells me not to see chiropractor because that’s for people with normal backs. I’ve been researching and it seems that people with this disorder do benefit from chiropractic therapy?? He wants me to just see a neurosurgeon

3 Answers

  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    For goodness sake, he has seen the X-rays, you have s bent back which cannot be straightened by a chiropractor. They are hardly used here in the U.K. as all they do is crack the back, and with you this can cause damage.

    Do NOT go to one until you are told by your Doctors that it is safe.

  • 2 months ago

    It is VERY rare for an MD of any kind to recommend Chiropratic care. I also won't say  that a GP has any idea what a chiropractor can and cannot treat.  That doesn't mean that chiropractic isn't a good option for you.  Millions of people with spondylitis get safe and positive results from chiropractic adjustments.  It really comes down to what type of pain you have, what is causing the pain, and what type of 'remedy" you are comfortable with.

    For example, if your issue is tight and or weak back muscles, a combination of chiropractic treatments and physical therapy exercises could address the cause of your pain. If you have a ruptured disc, either steroid injections and or surgery might be the right thing for you.  It is unlikely that a neurosurgeon or spine doctor is doing to recommend anything other than surgery, because this is the approach they have been trained on. That noted, you don't have to do what the doctor recommends.  You can get the detailed diagnosis and recommendations and then make a decision on what you want to do and if you want to try a less invasive approach first. 


    1. Learn what exactly your problem is

    2. Research and discuss options for treatment

    3. Select a treatment protocol and provider based on what you feel comfortable doing. 

  • kelvin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    what you have is a crack or a fracture of the vertabrae and i would actually see the neurosurgeon

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.