Troy
Troy asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

How did New Zealand do so well against this pandemic, was it great leadership?

A doctor is not a financial advisor. When I lose my job because Doc say my blood pressure is high and I defer to his advice that I should not work, maybe Doc will treat me for free from then on. Maybe he will pay my mortgage or buy me a sandwich each. But I doubt it. 

Reminds me of intro to econ 1, three dimensional matrix and now its the kids get this world with hundreds of dimensions. Only in your answer you presume one dimension is enough.

Favorite Answer

Tell that to the citizens of Auckland. 

• Lili

Tiny population.

The Prime Minister reacted quickly, but with a very small population -- less than 5 million -- that wasn't going to be difficult.

• blu

Politics deferred to the experts in the field of virology for the path to execute. I don't consult a politician if my blood pressure is high. NZ is not the only success story that followed the same path. 

• Fred

Have you heard they have suddenly had new cases of coronavirus.  Their isolation from the world and early steps to stop the virus likely has helped them a lot.

The prime minister reacted quickly and closed the country whrn.just a small number of  infections had been identified.

Leader(s) listening to the science and implementing the advice in a timely fashion.

• Its an Island. there are more sheep than people

It very well could be.

First, New Zealand's total land mass is about the same as the state of Colorado, but with a million fewer people...

Second, they are an island nation that enacted strict shutdown orders...not sure if you remember, but they threatened to use armed navy vessels to prevent passenger cruise ships from approaching their shores.

If you consider turning your country into a virtual East Berlin in the name of "the public good" then you can cite "great leadership"...but that also requires a population willing to abide by those conditions.

• Rick

NOBODY wants to go there !!!!   ...................