Troy
Lv 6
Troy asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

How did New Zealand do so well against this pandemic, was it great leadership?

Update:

A doctor is not a financial advisor. When I lose my job because Doc say my blood pressure is high and I defer to his advice that I should not work, maybe Doc will treat me for free from then on. Maybe he will pay my mortgage or buy me a sandwich each. But I doubt it. 

Reminds me of intro to econ 1, three dimensional matrix and now its the kids get this world with hundreds of dimensions. Only in your answer you presume one dimension is enough.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Tell that to the citizens of Auckland. 

• Lili
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Tiny population.

The Prime Minister reacted quickly, but with a very small population -- less than 5 million -- that wasn't going to be difficult.

• blu
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Politics deferred to the experts in the field of virology for the path to execute. I don't consult a politician if my blood pressure is high. NZ is not the only success story that followed the same path. 

• Fred
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Have you heard they have suddenly had new cases of coronavirus.  Their isolation from the world and early steps to stop the virus likely has helped them a lot.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

The prime minister reacted quickly and closed the country whrn.just a small number of  infections had been identified.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Leader(s) listening to the science and implementing the advice in a timely fashion.

• Its an Island. there are more sheep than people

• 1 month ago

It very well could be.

• 1 month ago

First, New Zealand's total land mass is about the same as the state of Colorado, but with a million fewer people...

Second, they are an island nation that enacted strict shutdown orders...not sure if you remember, but they threatened to use armed navy vessels to prevent passenger cruise ships from approaching their shores.

If you consider turning your country into a virtual East Berlin in the name of "the public good" then you can cite "great leadership"...but that also requires a population willing to abide by those conditions.

• Rick
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

NOBODY wants to go there !!!!   ...................

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.