Odd sound coming from bottom of car?

I drive a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's in pretty good condition for it's age, although it's getting up there in miles (140k). I drive around a lot for work, but there's usually not any serious problems that pop up with it. Earlier this week, I started hearing an odd sound from the under side of the car. It sounded almost like a knocking sound, like something was banging against something else. When I got to work that morning, I checked under the car to see if anything was loose. Didn't see anything, so I left it alone. As the week has progressed, the sound has become much more prevalent. There's no problem with driving it. It starts up just fine, there's no resistance when I try to steer or turn the wheel, and I had the brakes replaced a few months ago. I keep checking to see if something got jarred loose, but everything looks fine. There's just a constant knocking sound during the drive. Driving over a pothole or a bumpy road causes it to bang more. I'm getting it checked by the shop next week, but since I'm not car savvy, I just want to see if anyone knows if this is something serious, or it's just a common car issue.

Could simply be the exhaust striking the body. Try going under there and wiggling it.

Sounds like bad ball joints or control arm bushings.