Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 1 month ago

The highest internet plan in my area is 8 Mbps and I was wondering if investing in a higher quality modem or VPN will help.?

I learned a few years back its all about the wiring in your house or apartment. I was paying top dollar for the fastest internet plan and after complaining and hearing excuse after excuse from their technicians I finally got a straight answer. The apartment I was living in was old as was the wiring which couldnt handle the max Mbps I was paying for but they wont tell you that when you sign up.

Not in the least.

You could have a  3 GB/s modem if your internet provider doesn't provide it there really is no use for it. Change your network provider is the best answer I can give.

These wont help, get a better internet service and increase the bandwidth. 8 Mbps is low. Improving the local network environment does little to the internet speed because mostly bandwidth internally is already pretty high like atleast 100Mbps

• Mark J

theres two issues

Your ISP is asserting that the best connection in your area is limited to 8Mbps.

but that isn't the same as the actual connection speed which depends on the information/data provider and the various hoops it gores through to get to you.

Think of it as a pipe. the pipe has a capacity of 8Mbps, but unless the data provider is pumping data down that pipe at 8Mpbs then the theoretical capacity is just that, theoretical

gwrgywryrwyryyryry

If the highest bandwidth service available to you is 8 Mbps then that is the best you can hope for.  

Regardless of how good your modem is,  it can't improve the capabilities of the service provider equipment.  8Mbps is the best you can hope for.  What you need to do is get a modem that complies to whatever specifications they require or use their modem.  Most specifications are backwards compatible, so if you buy a higher grade modem it will step itself down to operate at whatever the level is that is supported by the service provider.

A VPN will NOT improve anything performance wise, it will only make your performance worse.  The VPN sits on top of your 8Mbps and adds a layer of overhead.  Instead of getting 8Mbps second you will get something more like 6.5Mbps.   Think of it this way, a VPN takes your information and puts it (all of it) inside of another locked envelop.  The VPN envelope is just bigger and it still needs to move over the same 8Mbps.  It's like putting 200 kilos of rocks in your car.  If you car has a maximum speed of 100kph without the rocks, it will be even harder for it to go fast with all those rocks added.

You use a VPN to create a secure (private) connection through the "public" Internet.  That is it's one and only purpose.  It adds overhead.

Added info - 8Mbps sounds like some form of DSL.  DSL is very sensitive to all sorts of external factors that can impact performance.  The 8Mbps they are advertising is probably best case, odds are in the real world you won't actually get 8Mbps.   I reckon the service provider is saying you can get "up to 8Mbps", and won't guarantee it.

depending on your resources and where you live search for satellite broadband or wireless broadband both may be available with much higher speeds , if other people in your area also have a slow speed you may be able to join together and get a wireless relay transmitter installed or even fiber or cable broadband which is very expensive to install for a few people with a large number of people the company could possibly install it at a lower cost overall , I have heard of communities digging their own trenches or erecting their own poles for cables and saving a lot of money

You can't get it faster than you have both agreed it is to be sent with hardware or software.

Neither a VPN nor higher quality modem will help you. The main limit here is your ISP connection.