Would Humans survive on an exoplanet that had 20% more gravity than Earth?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Assuming that there are no other significant environmental differences, there is no reason why humans cannot survive long-term in a gravity field of 1.2g. That would been that, if you weighed, say, 175 pounds of Earth, you would weigh 1.2 x 175 pounds = 210 pounds on the exoplanet. That's not an extraordinary strain on your system.

In fact, a little extra gravity might even be more healthy. Experiments done on rats raised in a mildly (1.5g) high gravity enrvironment show that they basically turn into "super-rats." Unfortunately, in a hypergravity environment of 3.14g, the rats aged faster and died younger.

• 5 months ago

Yes.  We're okay up to about 1.3 G.

• ?
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

Slightly more dense I suspect--and that's saying something 

• Adam D
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

The people we send into space are typically pretty fit and healthy.  How many people out there are carrying around 20% more weight than your average astronaut, and surviving?

For a short amount of time, I think we could handle it.  For something like colonization, probably not a situation that would work long term.

Any exploration of another planet would take place in suits and habitats, so the rest of the environment wouldn't matter.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Constipation won't be a problem there.

• 5 months ago

Depends how hot or cold it is, whether it has an atmosphere, how much radiation it receives from it's star, or neighboring objects, how toxic the environment is and how much volcanic or other geological activity there is.

Also you don's specify how long these unfortunate humans need to survive. We can survive a few days on the moon with appropriate gear. Personally I don't see the attraction. Give me good old mother Earth with all it's creature comforts any day.

• 5 months ago

anything is possible but we wont know unless that happened

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

i dont think we can ever know that unless they do it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.