Lv 4
takkk asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 5 months ago

Native English speakers: Which one do you usually say, Band-Aid, adhesive tape, or plaster?

Which one do you usually say?

(a) Can I have a Band-Aid?

(b) Can I have an adhesive tape?

(c) Can I have a plaster?

Thank you. I'd appreciate your feedback.

11 Answers

  • 5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    In the US, the product you reference is actually called a "bandage."

    "Band-Aid" is a registered brand name for a bandage made and marketed by the Johnson & Johnson Company.  Many Americans call the item a "Band-Aid" even if they do not buy the J&J branded product.

    "Adhesive Tape" refers to a roll of sticky tape that some people put on bruises - often over some gauze.

    "Plaster" is not used in the US, unless you are referring to a material placed on a wall surface.

  • 5 months ago

    There are three different things in the US.  And most people say Band-Aid.

  • 5 months ago

    Adhesive tape is not the same thing. It can refer to any tape used to hold things together but in the US it's generally used for a type of tape used to attach large bandages or gauze pads to your skin. And you would say "Can I have some adhesive tape?" or "a piece of adhesive tape" not "an adhesive tape." "Tape" in this sense is an uncountable noun.

  • 5 months ago

    Plaster, in the US is never used for what you're talking about.

    You are describing what we call a band-aid. For a small cut.

      "Adhesive tape". This is used to bind things like wires and pipes. Or maybe a gause to the skin.  BUt usually called a bandage.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

    In Britain I say "plaster". 'Adhesive tape' is what sticks things together, not people. Americans say "Band Aid". In Australia they say "Durex", but don't try that in Britain!

  • 5 months ago

    In Canada, we say Band-Aid, or bandage.  Plaster is a UK term.  Adhesive tape is something quite different.

  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

    Elastoplast or sticking plaster in my part of the UK.

  • 5 months ago

    It depends on where you are. In Britain, "plaster" or "sticking plaster"  would be the most common. In Australia and New Zealand it is "band-aid".

  • 5 months ago

    I say A) bandaid.

  • 5 months ago


Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.