what percentage of small claims are won without a lawyer ?

I have debt collectors threatening to sue me. I have been watching videos on youtube for defenses against the lawsuit. What are my chances of getting my debts dismissed 

I owev about $12k and my credit scoe is around 540

I owe $12k to multiple creditors about 10 or 15

• Yeti

Some locations do not permit attorneys in small claims court. Even if they do permit attorneys, many in small claims court do not have one.

If you owe $12,000, in most locations, that would exceed the small claims limit. It's not clear if there would be one civil suit for the entire $12,000.

You haven't indicated what defense you think you'd have to your debts. Sometimes debt collectors don't have the required documentation when they're called on it. But it doesn't sound like you're denying you incurred the debt, etc.

If you truly owe the debt, whether or not you have an attorney isn't going to make a lot of difference. The big question is if you can negotiate a payment plan with your creditors, and if you earn enough income that they can forcefully collect if necessary, such as by garnishing your wages.

100%. The NATURE of small claims court is that lawyers are not involved. Even if the case otherwise qualifies, lawyers are not PERMITTED in most small claims cases.

That said, YOU didn't even state a WEAK argument to dismiss ANY debt. For that reason, the creditors WILL will in all of your cases.

What? LOL! There's no attorney at small claims. It's "small". Dude, you'll lose. You admit that you owe. Wrong court. You need to file BANKRUPTCY.

WHERE?  A handful of States (I believe Michigan and California among them) parties cannot be represented by attorneys.

Your credit score is meaningless.  In MY estate people who have debts by contract ALWAYS lose in Small Claims Court.  That includes charge cards, rent, loans.

Just interested in what you THINK your defense to not paying 10 or 15 creditors would be.

The BEST you can hope for is a judgment (or 2 or 15) against you for the balance only, NONE of the interest, late fees.

Source(s): education/experience

In my state 100% because lawyers are not allowed in small claims court. One can get advice from a lawyer prior to the trial but the lawyer cannot be present in the trial.

Zero chances if you owe the money.  And you will end up paying a whole lot more than what you owe if you are sued.  Some jurisdictions DO allow attorney representation in Small Claims.  Don't listen to the wrong answers.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.

All of the ones that are one, you cannot bring a lawyer to small claims.  That aid, if you owe them the money, they will win if they can show you owe the money.  It is that simple.  Your only hope is that they cannot prove you owe.

Just send a certified letter requesting that they stop contacting you. If they continue to call you, you can sue them for every call they make. I believe it’s 2000 for every call after you send a cease and desist. 

If you owe a bunch of money, just declare bankruptcy. You’ll be screwed for about 7 years but if your credit is shot, might as well go bankrupt and start all over. 

• A

Unless the alleged debts are wrong you are not going to get them dismissed, most likely will offer you a deal to pay 50-75% of the debt in 1 lump sum and be done with it.  If you go to court they can attach your bank account and garnish your wages

No lawyers are allowed in SC courts.