Mr. P
Mr. P asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 month ago

How to protect equipment from Lightning strike?

We've just been hit in the village that took out 20 internet routers including the chemist so they cannot order medicines or contact the doctors for prescriptions.

Several routers exploded with sparks and smoke. Other connected equipment is toast.

A recording by phone of the event shows the flash, then you can hear a sizzle, the phone display is affected with EMP then you hear the boom of the strike. It obviously hit phone lines - how can we prevent damage from this?

Thank you.

most UPS and voltage stabilisers

have built in surge protection

better to disconnect equipment from the wall socket

during a lightening thunderstorm

I lost a TV, a Microwave and a Toaster from a surge last year, so now there are surge protectors on the more expensive items.  The mains electric comes from underground as does the phone & broadband, the computer and phones are wi-fi, but they can all suffer from a nearby strike. Best to unplug computers, particularly now that Windows has that horrible BSOD repair system which takes ages.

You can buy a surge protector socket in most electrical stores such as PC World, or unplug everything when there is a storm.

Should have used a surge protector. I learned my lesson the last time we had an electrical shutdown. The building had a blackout and the equipment that I used had the motherboard fried. 

So after replacing the equipment, I made sure to get a surge protector. 

• Dze

a UPS system works fairly well, but still better to unplug equipment from outside lines during lightening storms ..