Teaghan asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

I'm too scared to have a ecg?

I'm very nervous to have a ecg I have never had one done I'm worried what they will do and that there will be something wrong with my heart 

During the test, electrodes from an electrocardiography machine are connected to the patient while they exercise on a treadmill. But in people affected by anxiety or depression, heart disease could be falling under the radar in the ECG tests, according to the study.

• P.L.

I've had several and there is absolutely nothing to be afraid of.  Nothing about the test will hurt you, it will just be reading what your heart is doing to give your cardiologist a picture of how your heart performs.  It will pick up an irregular heartbeat (and other issues) so that you can then be given the best medication for your particular problem.

Please try not to get too worried or scared about getting an electrocardiogram or ekg test.  As others have mentioned, an ekg technician will stick electrodes onto the skin and get a read out of the electrical activity of the heart.  For someone who does have an ekg test of which the doctor is concerned, it's better to know to be able to handle the situation.  (Just a bit of trivia that an ecg may be referred to as ekg due to it being easier to pronounce :)

EKG is simple. 

They stick some electrodes onto your skin. 

They are like thick tape with a wire attached. 

They may shave hair if you have any. 

It's a painless test. 

Or you are afraid of what the results might be?

• Chanel

You are over thinking. I've had a lot of ecgs and they were all normal.

Please don't worry. I think you will be alright.

• LAN

No, you are scared because you are afraid that nothing will be wrong so you can't blame all your problems on something physical and will have to admit that you are mentally ill.  Grow up.   How is not knowing one way or the other better than knowing?

An EKG is a painless procedure and importantly, can provide insight into any heart issues by studying heart rhythm, heart rate and other general heart-related information.  Electrodes are placed onto your chest to record the heart's electric signals (which causes the heart to beat) and those signals are shown as waves on an attached computer/printer.  If you have a heart issue and this is left unchecked, the alternative is not attractive.

Are you asking about an EKG (Electro cardio gram of the heart) or EEG (an Electroencephalogram of your head)?

I have no idea what an ecg is....never heard of it.

You didn't mention if you are having specific heart related issues or if you're having it done to rule out the heart as a problem area.

I have had a couple ECGs one in the hospital, I just laid on a table and a nice lady put sticky pads on my chest and told me to relax. The whole process only took 10 mins. I have bradycardia, so I ended up on a Holter monitor for 72 hours. It's a wearable box with sticky pads. The only problem with it was I had an allergic reaction to the pads and ended up with a rash.That being said, it's better to find out what (if any) the problem is so you can get it fixed. I had a weird black out with vertigo. They spent alot of time looking at my heart only to find out I have these messed up migraines so...don't worry too much. Take care of yourself 🤗

Having an ECG test is not painful. they just need you to relax. Even if they did find something abnormal with your heart rhythm, you will be better off than you were before you had the test because they can now work positively towards correcting the problem.