Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 month ago

Even if women generally don’t have as strict of standards for their partner’s appearance as men, do women sacrifice looks for other benefits?

For example, if they know their partner is less attractive than them, they will expect more from him, be it financial support, being treated especially well, or even for the lower probability of being cheated on or divorced.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your question presupposes that the most overwhelming reason for couples to get together is appearance.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Most women have dated good-looking guys in youth and have come to understand that just being hot doesn't make someone dependable or a good partner for a lifetime. Perhaps women are just more capable than men of assessing a future mate based on the things that will be enduring. Looks fade so when contemplating marriage you have to have other metrics by which to vet a partner. Ten years in either one of you is going to look the same so you'd better have some mutual respect and shared priorities to get you through the next 40+ years. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Just google Cate Blanchett's husband.  They always seem very happy together.

Your question says more about you than men and women in general.  You seem to struggle under the misapprenhension that it's possible to kind someone goodlooking for whom you have utter contempt.  Feelings really do affect what our brain takes in, and who is to say that a woman thinks her partner IS less attractive than her?  Are you really that sure that your criteria are universal?  I'll give you a hint, they're not.  Looks fade.  If you want to settle down with someone it's imperative that you're on the same wavelength.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Some women do, obviously. Gold diggers trade their looks for financial security, and some don't even care much about looks.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I know a woman who’s married to a man who’s less attractive than her, and they both seem happy, so you must be wrong.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

My boyfriend isn't conventionally attractive, he's unemployed, and he's kind of an asshole to me. Yes he's cheated a few times. But anyway, we make each other laugh and we relate to each other over some of the awful stuff that's happened in our pasts. We both haven't been handed the best situations in life. Some people just have low standards lol. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.