Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 1 month ago

Would you buy a used car from a private seller who is a mechanic?

I am looking at buying a used vehicle and have found one that seems like it could be a good deal. The seller is a mechanic but said that this was their family vehicle. Buying a car from a mechanic seems like it could be great because perhaps they kept up on the maintenance well. However, it seems like it could be not so great buying from a mechanic too because they may know what people usually look for when inspecting a vehicle and could "patch up" some issues or something. I dont know them so I do not know if they are honest sellers. Any thoughts or experience? Especially let me know what you think if you are a mechanic. Thank you!

Wish I had a dollar for everyone who considers themselves a mechanic.

Use the same caution you would if you were buying one from grandma. Buyer beware is how you approach this. Believe nothing the seller tells you. Have a mechanic of your choosing inspect the vehicle before you buy. Ask for a 30 day warranty and get it in writing. 

Ask him what the vehicle is going to need in the near future. Tires? Brakes? Has the timing belt or chain been replaced?  If he's a real mechanic we're mostly honest with people and want a car owner to be happy. You might even ask them if he does "side jobs" if you need any work done on the vehicle.

There are unscrupulous mechanics out there, so caution is a must.

Here in Britain you can get an AA inspection by qualified mechanics so anyone selling a genuine vehicle would not object.

If the vendor is reluctant to allow the inspection then walk away, especially if he's a mechanic himself! 

I found out use cars that are 10 years or more older having 200,000 miles usually needs a new radiator I bought from Rock Auto for $100 and I add pugs and wiring and new belts....and they will run good for years more....Right now I drive around in a $50,000 car I both for $3000......just check and make sure all the windows go up and down and it will drive straight.....

Before you buy any used car from any seller get it inspected by an independent automobile mechanic who has no vested interest in the sale.  If the seller is legitimate and has nothing to hide, they will agree to those terms.

If you asking about the Toyota Sienna, one question is enough doofus.  One tip when buying a used car, always assume that the seller is LYING.