Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 month ago

What is the most eaten animal in the world?

I thought it was cow, but someone told me it was goats.

To be clear, it is total meat consumed. 

• JASON

I heard it was goat too, on the radio a while back.

• CB

"According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, pork is the most widely eaten meat in the world (36%) followed by poultry (33%), beef (24%), and goats/sheep (5%)."

Simple google search --

It must be chicken, they can be kept anywhere and don't take a lot of space, factory farmed for sale and kept at home. 

• kswck2

Probably goat. Keep in mind that goats can survive nearly anywhere, including rocky terrain. Chickens, pigs, etc. cannot. 

And probably a close second is fish. The Earth is 70% water after all. 

Pork and poulty are pretty much neck and neck. 

There's no way it's cow for the same reasons it's pork and poultry.  Pork and poultry, even when rear in a low inensity environment don't require much land or resources.  I like beef - a lot, so do most people which is why it's the aspirational meat, but in terms of domestication it's been a disaster to ecologies in many parts of the world.  Cattle are very resource intensive to rear and they really mess up the soil horizon due to the way they graze.  It is possible to raise them in a more environmentally friendly way, but it is beyond cruel as it means they live out their lives in sheds and cows are very intellegent animals and do best when allowed natural social lives.  (Adult sheep are extremely stupid though.)  Beef should be eaten rarely and if we really wanted to tread more lightly on the earth we ought to breed all purpose cattle instead of separate dairy and beef herds.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/237632/product...

It would depend - do you mean the animal eaten by the largest number of people, or do you mean the animal that is eaten by people in the largest number?

I don't know but I'd guess the chicken is a good contender for either.