Hydrogen or electricity what is the future?

what will the future of travel, hydrogen or elctricity?

i dont want any elon musk bs

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Probably both, as well as biofuels, and maybe other technologies we haven't even figured out yet.

I suspect electric and biofuels will dominate, for the most part, for standard consumer cars.  We can already make reasonable petroleum substitutes from organic waste, and as the remaining oil gets less and less accessible (and we start actually taking climate change seriously), and the technology for turning things like garbage and agricultural waste into either liquid fuels or biogas improves, we will stop using mined petroleum in favor of bio-sourced petroleum equivalents.  Biodiesel is already stupid easy to make, from things like used cooking oil.  And electric cars are increasing in range, and charging stations are more widespread, so most people will find electric cars adequate to their needs within a few decades at most, with biofuel as a backup for people who want or need more range, or have other specialized requirements (eg live in a remote area with inadequate electric infrastructure).

For freight, I suspect it will be a mix of hydrogen and biofuels, mostly things like liquified biogas.  Electric motors would not be optimal for things like semis, except in a setup with some sort of fueled generator, since they need to be able to go very, very long distances, with minimal fueling time.  But transportation trucks would probably be less resistant to fueling that needs to be done by a trained professional, and at a reduced number of actual locations (rather than on every street corner).  So, hydrogen and/or LNG engines for trucks and trains.

Air travel is... pretty fussy about fuel source, so I suspect it will be the last holdout, for a while at least, on using fossil fuels, before eventually converting to biofuels (and maybe things like fission power).  Possibly also hydrogen, I'm not sure of the weight to energy profile for compressed hydrogen.

• Fred
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I believe in large countries like Canada, the USA, Australia etc will have hydrogen powered cars.  I saw a youtube video of a group of 4 drive across the USA in a Tesla.  They found the car was good at directing cars to recharging stations but what happens if the station is full and people are in no rush to come back and move their cars.  I also saw a comparison video on several EVs and none of them did better than two thirds the distance they were supposed to travel.  Using lights, airconditioner, and other accessories cuts the battery charge back a lot.  I have read of a Nissan leaf owners who will not put the heater or air conditioner as they draw so heavily on the batteries and they rug up or wind the windows down instead of using the air conditioning.

When the hydrogen cell cars become common you just pull up at a service station and fill up in 2 minutes and keep driving just like current fueled cars.  Those who worry about Hydrogen fuel being explosive the truth is that it is safer than liquid fuels as if the tank ruptures in a liquid fueled vehicle the fuel spills onto the road and can engulf the car in fire, but in a hydrogen fueled car if the tank splits the hydrogen floats off upwards into the atmosphere so their is no fuel on the ground to catch fire and engulf the vehicle.

Also remember that in 10 years time the batteries will need to be replaced at a cost of several thousand dollars. And that could have bought a lot of non polluting hydrogen.  Also if your power comes from coal or gas then the pollution at the power station cancels out the saving on pollution you were hoping to prevent.

The next problem can the power grid handle the huge draw half a million EVs charging overnight.  What happens if the grid goes down after a storm and it takes days to get any household power and your EV needs a charge or it will not move.  If you are just doing short distance driving the EV may be all you need but in big countries where many people drive long distances they need a vehicle that can be filled up quickly and can keep driving.

• 1 month ago

I've to go with electricity. There are simply too many sources to get it. 

• 1 month ago

Which ever one will get me 350 to 400 miles down the road and only take 10 minutes to completely recharge of fill the tank for the next 350 to 400 miles will get my vote..

'

I ACTUALLY VOTE FOR nuclear AND IT WILL RUN FOR YOUR COMPLETE LIFETIME.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Marvin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Hydrogen is expensive to store. It is difficult to detect if it leaks. It is very explosive.  It requires a lot of electricity to break apart water (thus making hydrogen and oxygen).

Electric cars are the future. Everyone will drive to work, and maybe plug in to top up a while.  Most of the charging will be done during the off hours at night.  The increased demand on the power grid is not as significant as the demand on petrol stations.

• 2 months ago

Electricity is the future

• 2 months ago

Many areas in world do not have even 24 hours per day electricity, do not have even good quality roads but have lot of power theft, lot of defaulters on payment of power bills and their governments give free electricity to their vote bank of farmers.

Future will be to minimize the need to travel using internet, mobile data-covid has already made people work and learn from home, lockdown crashed the oil and gas prices to such an extent that exploration companies were ready to pay a premium to one who immediately buys and stores their extracted oil.

• Ludwig
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Oil.   There is plenty of it about.

• Guber
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Let's ask Bill Gates about this.  He has all the answers.  Honestly, predicting stuff like this is just about dang near impossible.  What if something other than either of these 2 pops up?  I dunno.

• 2 months ago

Both. There are applications where hydrogen should already be being used but the electric car will probably not be practical due to limitations of creating hydrogen filling stations (unless there is a surge of government money behind it). Making charging stations for electric cars isn't really that hard as electricity is already everywhere. Sure you could add hydrogen to gasoline places but that also means they have to be built. More trucks to deliver the hydrogen, etc.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.