Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 2 months ago

What do I do?

I’m going into my 2nd year of college studying Psychology. I am completely hopeless though because I don’t want to study Psychology. I’ve already changed my major 3 times in my first year. I’m only studying this because my sister did and for me it’s just a “base” until I find out what I really and truly want to get a degree in. I’ve talked to different counselors but none of them unfortunately helped me figure out want I want to do. It’s not like I don’t have interests, I do. I like music, I play the drums (not amazingly, but decent). I have urges to try things like acting or making electronic music. Only problem is I don’t know where to start and don’t want to waste my time if it isn’t going to get me a job in the future. I just don’t want to end up with a job I hate while I earn very little money. My dad says that’s mostly going to happen because it happens to most people. I’ve been worrying about this for the longest time and don’t know who or where to turn to. Thanks.  

Well, that's weird!  I don't know of any colleges that allow you to select a major before  the end of your 2nd year.  The first two years are devoted to completing general education requirements.  Where are you going to college, Liberty University?

You're doing good, hun.  You're on the fast track to a job you totally despise just like everyone else.  Whatever you do, DO NOT major in what you love.  It's bad advice considering what you love are only side hobbies and not income generating careers.

• Expat

Don’t major in music. Play music. A degree will get you a job making coffee at Starbucks and a fat student loan debt. Switch to English because at least it’ll teach you to write well, but don’t focus on creative writing or 17th century literature- choose writing, editing and publishing. And no gender studies! Good luck! 

I think I would pull out of a "specialty" program and aim more for a general degree. Especially for your first couple years of college, there's no reason to declare a major, take a variety of classes, get your general requirements/pre-requisites in and take the electives that interest you. Find volunteer opportunities in areas you think you may like, talk to people already in the roles you are considering. 

You're right to be hesitant about majoring in acting/theatre or music as the entertainment industry is supposed to be *very* competitive.

Perhaps you may get involved in some extracurricular activities at your current school, such as your college's theatre or drama club and/or music club.

I'm not sure if you've spoken with a career counselor, such as to get a career aptitude test.  A career aptitude test may show one's strengths and look at one's interests to help narrow down some relevant job fields.

If you're not happy majoring in psychology, then perhaps the school offers a "general studies" or "liberal arts" major, at least until figuring out a more specific job path.

For anyone who is feeling hopeless and/or depressed, please do seek outside professional help.  The student services center (or by similar name) should have a psychologist or counselor of which to speak.  He or she may provide some community resources to receive further counseling, for instance.

Someone else mentioned considering taking a "leave of absence" (or "medical leave," such as if having depression or another health issue), and if you believe that that to be right for you right now, perhaps you may consider that.  If that doesn't pertain to you and if your parents will allow you to live at home, for instance, perhaps you may attend the local university on a part-time basis.

For mental health (and/or addiction) treatment services, inpatient or outpatient centers:

https://findtreatment.samhsa.gov/

Their toll-free 24/7 ** referral ** hotline:

1-800-662-HELP (4357).

• fcas80

You say you've talked to different counselors.  You need to talk to your college career placement office.  But you need to have an idea of what you want to do with your life in a way that will pay the bills.  For example, research ten careers in the music world.  No counselor will give you the answer, but you have to meet them halfway.

• Rick

If possible, put college off until you have a better feel for what you want to do for the rest of your life.  If for some reason that isn`t doable, psych will always greatly benefit you no matter what you ultimately choose to focus on.  Good luck, because you`re going to need it.