Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 2 months ago

English meaning : How the "to lose" part works in the sentence that follows?

Trump delivered a strong reelection case but the race is still Biden’s to lose

This is from GOP Pollster's comment after GOP Convention.  To me  the "the race is still Biden's to lose" is so confusing. Is it saying Trump is winning or Biden is winning?   How does the infinitive to lose function in this sentence? 

Thank you. 

• John P

What 'to lose' means in that context is that Trump has his loyal group of supporters who will vote for him no matter what   So it is Biden's job to get hold of all those 'swing voters' who are annoyed with Trump, but maybe not quite annoyed enough to vote for Biden, - they might simply fail to vote.   If Biden does not make the right sort of effort to get hold of those voters, he will lose.

All you can say linguistically is that "an election is (Name's) to lose" is a fixed expression in fairly common use in connection with elections, possibly especially in the USA.

Note that I am British, so I can view that election from the outside.

It means he should win under the present circumstances, but it’s Joe Biden, so he may lose.

In my opinion like this-----> 

It means Biden is currently in the lead and will win if he makes no mistakes. But if Biden messes up then Trump could still win. 

Trump failed as president